JANET L. PORRO, ESQ.
As the firm’s founding partner, Janet has dedicated her practice to Family and Matrimonial law matters since 1985, focusing on the most important issues and challenges that a client faces, helping them move forward with confidence as they embark upon a new chapter of their lives.
Janet’s concentration on domestic violence, (advocating for victims), divorce, custody, child support, alimony, equitable distribution, post-judgment enforcement of court orders, pet custody issues, and relocation of parents and children, allow for a client to feel at ease and get results when faced with such overwhelming and complex matters. Janet’s approach is to focus upon each individual client’s needs and concerns, tailoring each litigation and resolution towards the respective client and what is most important and critical to their lives and the lives of their children. Janet additionally has extensive experience in the realm of Pre-Nuptial Agreements protecting assets in the event of a future break down of a marriage.
As a mediator, given her extensive experience in the field of family law, Janet is able to assist the parties in reaching a resolution of all financial and custodial issues, despite the fact that the parties might think they are far apart and a resolution appears impossible. Working with the parties, Janet can assist them with facilitating a Matrimonial and/or Parenting Agreement, permitting a more cost effective resolution as compared to the litigation process which is costly from a financial as well as emotional perspective. Such a process allows the parties to “think outside of the box” and come up with resolutions that best suit their needs and the needs of their children and at times, pets.
Janet’s extensive experience in the realm of family law also serves as the basis for success in the role of Parent Coordinator.
Janet has lectured and taught in the area of domestic violence, matrimonial law and mediation for many years. She also serves as a member of the Early Settlement Panel for Morris and Passaic Counties assisting parties in resolving matrimonial disputes.
- Rutgers Law School, Newark, N.J. JD 1985
- Suma Cum Laude and Honors Program Graduate
- Rutgers University, Newark , N.J. BA 1982
- Global University, Springfield Mo.
- (non-matriculating) 1999
- University of Cambridge – Certification in Risk Management for Churches and Schools 2003
Concentration of Practice
Extensive experience in the litigation of matrimonial matters, child custody and interstate child custody removal litigation, spousal support, domestic violence litigation, juvenile matters, partnership law and adoptions.
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Extensive experience in the Mediation of matrimonial and child custody issues and mediation of non-profit organization disputes.
Extensive experience in the area of tax exempt/non-profit organizations, including filing for federal and state tax exempt status and risk management.
Fairleigh Dickinson University, Paralegal Studies Program, Family Law and Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Adjunct Professor, Berkeley College, Paramus, New Jersey , Business Law 2005
- Battered Women’s Legal Advocacy Program, presenter at training sessions for new volunteer attorneys seeking admission to the program 2000 – Present.
- Child Support and the impact of Custody Plans on such, The Julie Briggs Show, WMTR Radio, January 1998
- Parenting Issues and Domestic Violence Issues affecting Same Sex Couples, The Resource Center for Women, Summit, New Jersey, May 1998
- Sexual Assault – Rape Awareness Week – Drew University, October 1997
- Domestic Violence Litigation, United Jewish Federation of Metrowest, Training of Attorneys for participation in program, June 1997
- Litigation of Domestic Violence Cases, Legal Aid Society of Morris County, attorney training session, Edison, New Jersey, June 1997
- Issues for Survivors of Domestic Violence and Sexual Abuse, CONTACT Emergency Hotline Training Session, for Hotline Volunteers, Morris County, March 1997
- Domestic Violence and its’ Impact Upon Children and Divorce Proceedings, Julie Briggs Show, WMTR Radio, March 1997
- Women’s Issues: Domestic Violence and Sexual Harassment, Overcoming Obstacles in the Legal System; American Association of University Women, December 1996
- Career Day, Union School, Rutherford, New Jersey March 1997